At WREN we believe that creativity happens when experiences are connected.
The experiences that led to the creation of WREN are driving behind a cement truck and exploring a shoe factory.
The creative outcome of connecting these two experiences is the innovative patent-pending approach
of the company to making paper stitch-able, durable and practical.
Our journey began in 2008 and continues to unfold as we discover and make unusual connections.
- JANUARY: Wendren resigned from her job as a textile designer to start Wren.
- OCTOBER: Joined the Neighbourgoods design market at the Biscuit Mill in Woodstock, Cape Town. This allowed the company to meet and build connections with local shop owners and clients.
- February: Participated as an Emerging Creative at the Design Indaba at the CTICC in Cape Town with the PPC Cement Laptop Bag. Wren exhibited at the Design Indaba three more times (2012, 2013 and 2014) until it closed.
- The Wren Design’s first two contractors were enlisted. Fatima & Zurina joined the team to work part-time over weekends to help meet the growing demand.
- FEBRUARY: The first development from the PPC Cement Laptop Bag was introduced – the ipad sleeve. Launched at the Design Indaba in three hand screen printed designs.
- MARCH: Invited to participate in the Munich Creative Business exhibition. This was the company’s first appearance at an international exhibition.
- The Wren Design Pty Ltd was officially registered.
- Selected as one of 20 promising businesses to participate in the Netherlands Enterprise Agency’s Centre for the Promotion of Imports (CBI) export coaching 5 year programme.
- Wren design moved into it’s first studio.
- The Wren Design made the decision to focus on paper products and the product range grey to introduce Mini and Laptop Paper Sleeves.
- MAY: Wendren became the director full time.
- OCTOBER: Wren exhibited at Sanlam Handmade Contemporary for the third year (2013 – 2016).
- FEBRUARY: Joined consumer goods exhibition at the Ambiente trade show in Frankfurt, Germany. This event was the first solely international trade exhibition of the company and was an incredible success resulting in the company growing more than 200% in one year. Wren returned in 2017 and 2018 to Ambiente.
- NOVEMBER: Opened its first retail store called The Collective at the Watershed V&A Waterfront in Cape Town together with three other South African design brands.
- JANUARY: Exhibited with Dubaruba at Paper World in Munich, Germany.
- FEBRUARY: At Ambiente Bags were introduced to expand the Wren Paper sleeve Collection as well as its first consolidated and collaborated range with Diana Ejaita: Optical Africa.
- JULY: Wren’s first Eastward Trade Show: Giftex in Tokyo, Japan.
- AUGUST: Wendren won Business Women’s Achiever Award
- Wren’s first international Trade Show in America: NYNOW Accent on Design Returned in August 2019 and Feb 2020 on the Accent on Design Pavilion.
Take a story with you
When you shop with us!